Saturday, January 24, 2015

A Single Teardrop


Happy Birthday to the best Mom 
a little girl or grown woman 
could ever ask for!

Below is a picture that I know she holds dear to her heart and as I have grown up, it has become dear to mine too.  I based my newest poem on the story behind this picture. It is one of the sweetest stories of my childhood.  Mom had taken me to get my picture made and I cried because I didn't want to get it made all by myself.  Despite the fact that she didn't want her picture taken, she did it anyway to stop me from crying.  I was such a Momma's girl back then and to be honest, I still am!  In the picture you may see my little grin, but if you look close enough you can also see a tear in my eye.    This picture is proof of the bond that we have always shared as mother and daughter.  She has always been my rock.  It's no wonder that I consider her my best friend.  From the moment I was born she has always been there for me. 

Thank you, Mom, for always doing everything 
you could to turn my tears into smiles!   
Happy Birthday!  I love you!




A Single Teardrop

A single teardrop
On my little round face
A big ole smile
No one could erase

Momma seen my tears
As I began to cry
She didn't understand
So, she questioned me, "Why?"

I didn't want my picture
All by myself; all alone
Momma didn't want hers either
But her heart was not of stone

She gave of herself again
On what seemed an ordinary day
She sat down beside me
So everything for me would be okay

She put a smile on my face
Even with a tear in my eye
No momma wants her baby sad
Or wants her baby girl to cry

So, she put on a smile
For the camera with her girl
Not realizing one day this picture
Would mean the world

To a momma with the memory
Of her baby who loved her dear
So much that when getting her picture
She even wanted her mom near

Now the tear in her baby's eye
In the picture of the two
Brings a tear to Momma's eye
When she brings it out to view

It demonstrates a close relationship
Between daughter and Mom
A bond continued from birth
A bond that remains so strong

Even with tears in their eyes
Smiles still shine through
For the special love they share
Will stay forever and ever true

-LaDawn Cossey
January 22, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment