Thursday, October 24, 2013

This Little Light Of Mine


Command the children of Israel, that they bring unto thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamps to burn continually.  Leviticus 24:2 KJV

One night last week I had a dream.  A friend of mine gave another friend and I each a lamp.  These lamps were beautiful.  The artwork was so vibrant and colorful.  They also had a cross etched on them.  I was so excited that my friend gave me a lamp, I couldn’t wait to fill mine with oil, burn it, and let it shine.  However, my friend said she was going to fill hers up with water and set it up on her shelf.  I tried explaining to her that water would not burn and thus, the lamp wouldn’t be as beautiful as it could be if she didn’t fill it with oil and let it burn.  She got upset with me and told me that she didn’t need me tell her what to fill her lamp up with.  I woke up thinking about the significance of these two lamps. 

My friend’s lamp was full of water.  It was still very pretty with the cross adorned on it and it made a nice decoration.  Then there was my lamp that was full of oil.  Burning it made the cross glow and the light that was shown was simply beautiful.  It was so much more than just a decoration.

I felt like my friend’s lamp was like a person who has Christ in their life.  The outside looks pretty, but she put the wrong things inside her vessel and thus, caused it not to shine for Christ the way it should be able to.  These things that I refer to could be anything, maybe it’s something they have watched on television, music that doesn’t glorify God, or it could just be they put other things in their life before God.  Whatever it is, it doesn’t fill their lamp up with the oil that it needs to burn for Jesus.

My lamp was like a Christian who wants to shine bright for the Lord.  They long for a closer relationship with God.  He puts the things of the Lord in his vessel like reading his Bible, prays without ceasing, etc.  All of these things help his lamp shine, not for his own glory but for the Glory of God.

After thinking on this dream, it made me think of all the things that I could do to help fill my lamp up with oil.   I could be reading my Bible more, I could be praying more, I could be praising God more.  Even as a child, I have always been a quiet and timid person.  I don’t like drawing attention to myself and I don’t like being in front of people, but I hope that those things don’t hold back my shine for Christ.  I think that is one reason why I started this blog.  It’s one way that I pray God lets His light shine through me. 

I was talking with someone the other day and telling them about how Justice stood up to testify at Church for the first time Sunday night.  It blessed my heart that he wants to tell people that “Jesus loves everybody”.  He is so bold and I hope that he continues to be this bold for Christ as he grows up.  I want nothing more than to see his little light shine for Jesus!

I wanted to end this blog with one of my favorite Scriptures.  I hope it encourages you to fill your lamp with oil so that you are ready when Jesus comes again.  Let your light shine!

Matthew 25:1-13 KJV
1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

“I don’t need everyone to hear me say I’m a Christian, but I need everyone to SEE Christ in me.” -Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment